TIRUPATI Airport in the southern Indian state of Andhra Pradesh is silently and steadily emerging as the Aerotropolis of south India. The airport hitherto being catered to the pilgrims of Temple town of Lord Balaji, is fast emerging as the business hub for Electronics manufacturing industry at its periphery. The airport which is handling less than a million passengers per annum, got a new terminal building and the international status with customs notification.
The airport is owned and operated by the state run Airport authority of India-AAI
- Vast stretch of government land in the vicinity of Airport, that was owned by State govt.
- Pro Active state Govt. of AP is actively chasing industry with Tag of Electronic Manufacturing Zone in the land abutting the airport.
- offering slew of incentives for the industry.
- Big Names in Electronic Manufacturing CP PLUS, DIXON, Celkon have already set up manufacturing
- Chinese Electronic major-TCL will launch construction of the plant later this month.
- Reliance industries will be setting up a huge complex to manufacture Set Top boxes, mobile phones
- an institute of eminence IIDT- International institute of Digital Technologies was set up in in PPP mode to cater to the needs of the industry in the centre of the Aerotropolis.
The industry in the zone is creating lot of employment for the semi skilled youth of the area, whi are working as technicians and helpers in the high tech zone. The tech positions are being filled in through the personnel from nearby Chennai and Hyderabad cities. The skill development programme of the facility, IIIDT and Govt. of India’s Skill centers are imparting training to the perosnnel to make them ready to handle the precision jobs of the industry.
IIDT campus in the zone.
Hospitality and Convention facility: Abutting the airport entry, on the national Highway 71, a brand new Hotel with Conference facilities is being built and may open to the market any time soon.
Since the state of AP is proactively pursing the projects single handedly and building the brand equity of the zone, the airport operator in this case- AAI needs to work in tandem to push this initiative further. The synergy of both the entities can create well structured Aerotropolis which hitherto had been evolving by default of its own, thanks to its close proximity to Airport.