Benguluru based infra major, GMR bagged the right to construct new international Airport near Visakhapatnam at Bhogapuram.
GMR airport group bagged the mandate to Design, Build, construct, operate and transfer the new greenfield airport at Bhogapuram which is 45 KM away from the civil enclave airport of Visakhapatnam from the AP Airport Development corporation Ltd by quoting an aggressive PPF of Rs.303/ to the state government entity. in the process GMR outbid another home grown entity GVK for the project, which quoted Rs.166 PPF in the tender.
- The added advantage of this project is ready made land parcel, which was acquired by the state government in advance of the tender process.
- There is a captive passenger base of 2.33 million passengers and 5500 tonnes of Air cargo for the new entity once completed from the existing airport at Visakhapatnam.
- The bid document announced by APADCL puts the capacity of the new airport at 6 million passengers per annum with a capital outlay of Rs.4000/Crores.
- GMR proposed to build the first phase of the project at a capital outlay of 2300 Crores, to be completed by March 2021.
- This will be the third greenfield project being by GMR in India, after Hyderabad, Mopa-Goa.
- GMR will be developing another 2 greenfield airports in the world at Clark-Phillippines and Crete Island airport at Greece, besides operating Brownfield airports at New Delhi, Cebu-Mactan and Greenfield airport at Hyderabad.