Cochin International Airport- commercially known as CIAL is India’s First PPP model airport developed with the active participation of state government of Kerala and the Malayalee NRI’s based in Middle east. Ever since its inauguration in 1999- CIAL set record after record in terms of the operational efficiency, customer service and aviation service quality standards.
As part of setting aviation benchmark, CIAL embarked upon installing the solar power panels on air side and city side area of the airport and today, CIAL is the only major airport in the world fully powered by solar energy. in recognition of its majestic earthly feat, the United nations Environment programme had awarded CIAL, the champion of Earth award, the highest such fete from the world body.
- CIAL is located 27 Kms north West of Kochi city at Nedumbassery village.
- Before Nedumbassery facility, Kochi airport used to operate out of the Civil enclave of teh Indian navy on Willingdon Island.
- right from inception, CIAL was developed as a an Aerotropolis even though that concept was unheard at the time of building airport.
- CIAL is the most profitable airport in the country and all the expansion works of the airport are being met through internal cash accruals.
- The total area of the airport is spread over 1700 acres- a great feat achieved by Kerala government in the land short state.
- Today CIAL is an integrated airport with a MICE facility, world class in-flight kitchen and a Golf course and country club on its premises.
- It recently added a world class new terminal building Terminal 3, as part of expanding the facilities at the airport. T3 is currently handling all the International flights.
- The roof tops of the car parking lots are also solar panelled, generating green energy.